I’m halfway through my Ironman training schedule for this year and I’ve been pondering some lessons I’ve learned this time around. Hope I can make you smile!
1.Take time to watch the fish. This is the triathlete’s version of “Take time to smell the roses”. As long as I’m not in a race, it’s perfectly ok to tread water for a little while and just watch the fish swimming underneath. They are far more interesting that the big black line on the bottom of the pool. It’s also ok to stop during a bike ride and take cool pictures of friends, sheep, apple trees, and beautiful landscapes. Again- not in a race, but in practice.
2. Never make a big decision while running up a hill. The mind just isn’t thinking clearly. A decision made at that point of pain and lack of oxygen will be regretted later.
3. When it comes to running shoes, comfort trumps cute and colorful every time! I hate to admit this because I like cute. But I’m going to have to settle with looking cute on the top half and forget the feet. My new, cute colorful shoes this year have led me to number four…..
4. Toenails are highly overrated. I think I’m about to lose two of them. They are purple underneath the bright, red polish. The last time this happened the toenail fell off 6 weeks later. We’ll see….. Here’s my plan. If I only have eight toenails instead of ten, can I get 20% off my next pedicure? I’m sure going to ask. Why should I pay full price? I already don’t get my money’s worth because they don’t get to scrub the bottoms of my feet and get the calluses off.
5. Having the wrong bike seat is like having the wrong underware- it’s just irritating! I finally have a seat that works for me. I should have started the search last year. Next time, don’t wait!
and lastly…. (I learned this a few years ago)
6. There’s always time in an Ironman to put on lipstick in transition. I started this tradition with my first half iron race, and I’ve continued it in every race 70 miles or longer. Here’s my philosophy- If I’m going to hurt that much, and if the finish line picture costs that much, I better to look CUTE! : )