Ironman Training Week 13- 171 miles this week. I’m almost in Arizona. Only four more weeks of building before the glorious taper. There’s a lot of time and a lot to see in 171 miles. So that explains why I’m still tired and hungry!!! I have a few minor aches and pains, but I can eat a whole lot of peanut butter chocolate chip protein cookies and ice cream! That’s focusing on the positives. Here are my week 13 highlights:
1. I finally beat Danni biking up a hill. She’s my super-biker friend/trainer who pushes me to get stronger on the bike. So I did beat her up a hill, but I have to be honest. She was recovering from winning a hard mountain biking race two days before. The day she’s at full strength and I beat her up a hill will be a blog all to itself! Don’t wait, it may never happen!
2. After Chris and I completed our 80 mile bike ride down in aerobars, my neck and upper back muscles were so sore I almost had tears in my eyes. But our friend at the Y was there when we got back and it only took 5 minutes to get the knots out! YEAH!
3. I had lots of thinking time and praying time on my runs this week. I’m starting to memorize Romans 5 while I’m running. I try to have a lot of verses in my head to keep myself busy on the Ironman bike.
4. Chris and I got lots of laughs from me looking like a “tri dork” at the pool. Chris had new neoprene booties and under the chin swim caps for me to try. Since I never try anything new in the lake when I’m swimming by myself, I decided to try them at the pool. So imagine this- it’s pretty dorky. I have on my 2 piece navy Speedo (that’s my new experiment- it makes me keep my abs tucked in while I swim and my back doesn’t hurt anymore), black swim socks that go up my legs about 6 inches, and a black swim cap that covers the ears and has a strap under the chin. Not looking cute this week!!!!! But I got a lot of laughs!
5. The absolute best- I swam with two swans in Silver Lake on Friday. They just swam by looking curiously at me. Maybe they thought I looked dorky too! : ) But I took time to stop and tread water and soak in their beauty. By the way, when your head is at water level, swans look absolutely HUGE!
Four more hard weeks. Thank you for your prayers for safety and endurance. I’m over $13,000 in fundraising for Team Orphans!