Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday! It doesn’t have anything to do with presents or stuff. I love to be with family and take time to be still and be thankful! I’m down in Alabama now with my family, and I am thankful for so many things! Here are my tops…..
1. I’m thankful that I can be with my Mom, Dad, and two sisters, Kathryn and Deb. It’s been 2 years since we were all together the last time. Kathryn lives in AL next door to my parents, but Deb lives in Colorado and we’re in Michigan. I love hearing my kids having such a great time with their Alabama cousins. Being together is precious and not taken for granted.
2. I’m thankful that my Grandma (my Mom’s mom) bought me a piano when I was 7 years old and paid for my piano lessons. It changed my life forever. It allowed me to excel quickly in band as a teen. It was the foundation of my 1st career teaching music. I love playing in church now. Even back here in AL, I get to play at my old church when I come home to visit.
3. I’m thankful that Tom supports me and my ministry of Team Orphans. People often ask me how I ever have time to train for an ironman with three kids! I always respond that I couldn’t do it without Tom. When he’s at work and the kids are at school, I have 35 hours a week. That’s plenty of time to direct Team Orphans and train! I’m thankful that he gladly supports our family financially. That opens my doors to be full time mom and full time charity director. I think we’ve raised about $70,000 for Team Orphans so far. So in a way, Tom is providing for more than 3 kids……
4. I’m thankful that after more than 5 years, we’re officially done with our kids’ attachment counseling with Kurt. I know that we aren’t done with challenging parenting issues, but our kids have made progress. They are more attached and more secure than 5 years ago. And most importantly, I am more prepared to help meet their unique needs and challenges.
5. I am thankful for many close friends who know me through and through but still love me. I have several close girl friends who know my joys and struggles enough to challenge me but also hold me back when I need it. We all need accountability.
6. I am thankful for the amazingly beautiful world that God has given us! Over the past 7 years as I have started to spend more time outside running and biking, I have come to see God’s creation in a way that I never appreciated before. God never ceases to delight me with trees, flowers, animals, oceans, cacti, and sunrises. I soak in His beauty and return it with praises!
For what things are you the most thankful?